Re: Removing the manpage requirement for GUI programs?

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:06:37 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> GUI applications usually take only a few simple command-line options,
> and more importantly, when you use a modern development framework, these
> options will always be documented correctly with the --help switch.

Manpages can be used with/by debman, http://manpages.debian.net/,
apropos, and probably a dozen other tools which don't know about any
--help output.

> For extra points, we could agree on a way to generate manual pages
> automatically, either at installation time or on the fly, using
> help2man.

IMO these are not extra points but a necessary pre-requisite. And I
believe it should happen at build time.

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.   http://info.comodo.priv.at/ -- GPG Key IDs: 0x8649AA06, 0x00F3CFE4
   `-    BOFH excuse #205:  Quantum dynamics are affecting the transistors