Re: Flag images - technical solution

Hi,

Quoting Dmitry E. Oboukhov (unera@debian.org):

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 07:28:56PM +0100, Jérémy Lal wrote:
> Maybe SVG flags would address this issue ?
>
> Also when it's not possible to choose between two flags, one could imagine
> just providing an icon with the 2 or 3-letter country code in it, and no flag.

I guess, there should be coordinated technical solution in which each
package install things like
      flags/24x15/<locale-id>.png
      flags/16x10/<locale-id>.png
      flags/scalable/<locale-id>.svg

For some selectable locale-id, multiple icons
      flags/24x15/<locale-id>.variant-0.png
             (Nothing but 2 or 3-letter country code in it)
      flags/24x15/<locale-id>.variant-1.png (Flag choice #1)
      flags/24x15/<locale-id>.variant-2.png (Flag choice #2)

Then
      flags/24x15/<locale-id>.png
is managed via alternative system to point to one of the choices above.

(I know alternative is not good idea for installer, ...)

This should make things easy to impliment icon across application
without political issues, someday if someone bothers to do this.

Osamu

PS: Taiwan's reference in the public life has been moving target.  The
new president Ma of Taiwan seems to use interesting new wordings... when
he represents him to the mainland.