Effect of “should certainly do foo” in policy

Howdy all,

Debian policy has certain words that have normative meanings.

When Debian policy says “must”, that has a normative effect: violations
merit a bug report at severity ‘serious’ or above.

When Debian policy says “should”, there's no mandated minimum severity,
but it generally merits a bug report.

What does policy mean when the “should” is intensified with “certainly”?
Examples include:

    3.4.1. The single line synopsis
    -------------------------------

         The single line synopsis should be kept brief - certainly under 80
         characters.
         […]

    10.4. Scripts
    -------------
    […]

         Shell scripts (`sh' and `bash') should almost certainly start with
         `set -e' so that errors are detected. […]

Do violations of “should certainly” merit a bug report? How does this
compare with an unmodified “should”? How does it compare with a “must”?

If there's no normative effect, is it reasonable to ask for the sake of
clarity that these modifiers be struck from the wording?

--
 \           “I do not believe in immortality of the individual, and I |
  `\        consider ethics to be an exclusively human concern with no |