Re: does /var/games have to be deleted on purge? (if it's empty..)

* Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> [100106 09:48]:
> >> * Whether it makes sense given Debian semantics or not, users just don't
> >>   expect removing packages to, from their perspective, destroy data.
> >>   Other distributions don't seem to do this.
> > We are talking about "purging", not "removal", thus I consider this argument
> > invalid. I expect "purge" to remove all traces of a package from the system.
>
> So when I purge OpenOffice.org from my system it should then delete all
> the documents created with it? They are about the same category: Created
> with the software packaged here, but not related to it otherwise, its my
> data.

Your data in in $HOME. Purging should not change there anything. But I
totally expect it to remove all system wide settings of Openoffice like
global printer settings and all modifications to system directories
not done by myself (where "done by myself" can include doing by the
program as safe-as, but only when I control the location and not if the
program does it and especially not if it does not even show me where it
happens).

On other words: as a quick test: if I only use a program as user and
purge the package and my $HOME (and perhaps /tmp by reboot), there
should be nothing left and especially when I reinstall it everything
should be as after the first installation.

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link