Re: Informative addendum to policy clarifying dpkg/maintainer script interface

On Mon, Oct 19 2009, Patrick Matthäi wrote:

> Manoj Srivastava schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>>         I have created a document to clarify the interaction between
>>  maintainer scripts and dpkg, and examines the state changes for a
>>  package when a user interacts with the packaging system. The dynamic
>>  interactions between the packaging system and the package's maintainer
>>  scripts are described formally using UML diagrams. This document does
>>  not attempt to describe what the maintainer scripts can or can not do,
>>  concentrating instead mostly one the packaging system interface. It
>>  also provides a call graph of the maintainer scripts.
>>
>>         This document is meant to be informative, not normative, at this
>>  point, and is presented here mostly since the maintainer scripts
>>  interaction section of policy is one of the more opaque
>>  segments. However, it also is trying to formally define the packaging
>>  system interface formally, and is meant to become normative at some
>>  point in the future, once it has buy in from the interested parties and
>>  has been checked for correctness.
>>
>>         An early draft was sent over to the debian policy mailing list,
>>  but I thought the time has come to widen the audience a bit. Any
>>  feedback is appreciated. Please follow up to the policy list
>>  (debian-policy@lists.debian.org mailing.) Especially welcome would be
>>  any feedback from the dpkg folk about correctness of the interactions
>>  depicted.
>>
>>         Oh, and before I forget, this is where the document lives currently:
>>
>>  http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/MaintainerScripts.html
>>
>>         Thanks in advance,
>>
>>         manoj
>
> Nice work, but I think it would be a good idea to declare every
> parameter from dpkg to the maintainer script.

        Could you elaborate as to where you want to see these
 parameters? Isn't this already covered fairly cleanly in policy? I tend
 to find §6.5 (Summary of ways maintainer scripts are called) fairly
 straightforward,  §6.6, 6.7, and 6.8 are the ones I  find akin to a
 maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

        manoj
--
A 'full' life in my experience is usually full only of other people's
demands.