Re: Goals of debian/copyright

Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr> writes:

> There has been some discussion on debian policy, but the conclusion was
> that the repackaging of upstream source need to be mentionned in
> debian/copyright when it affects the copyright status of the package,
> not always.

That doesn't match my recollection of the discussions.

I believe the provenance of the upstream source needs to be described in
debian/copyright regardless of whether or not copyright issues are
involved.  Documenting the location of the upstream source is called out
in Policy as a separate purpose for debian/copyright independent of
copyright and licensing terms.