Re: Goals of debian/copyright

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> I wish that you'd not make this argument, since it strikes me as a
> non sequitur and I keep stumbling over it. Just because the Debian
> developer has done something does not place upon them an obligation
> to document that work for other people unless there's some
> compelling reason why we should *also* require the documentation.

The compelling reason is this: knowing one's rights is an essential
part of freedom.

> To me, this reads like saying "every Debian maintainer should have
> installed the package on a local test system before upload, so it's
> incumbent upon them to include the typescript of that installation
> in the package in case some user would find that useful." The second
> part just doesn't follow from the first.

Agreed. The difference is that the information in ‘debian/copyright’
is there, in part, to effectively grant rights to the recipient such
that they know they have those specific rights.

--
 \     “On the other hand, you have different fingers.” —Steven Wright |
Ben Finney