Re: common, FHS-compliant, default document root for the various web servers

Stefano Zacchiroli dijo [Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 05:50:01PM +0100]:
> > Uhm, why postpone this so long? I'd hope we could find a consensus quite soon.
> > Then, we might not be able to fix _all_ web apps until squeeze, but at least
> > tthose few with dir-or-file-in-var-www :-)
>
> I see it a tad more complicate than you, let's hope its me
> overestimating the task :-)
>
> - the agreement actually should not come among web app maintainers, but
>   rather among web *server* maintainers: they should agree over a
>   specific dir and change the default configuration of the web server so
>   that that dir is the document root (for the default vhost, for web
>   servers supporting vhosts)
>
>   * possibly, migrating to that would require offering migration paths
>     to package users

That's easy, as there is fewer of us than web app maintainers. And it
is a first step. We might even have a transitional symlink making
/var/www point to /var/lib/www or whatnot?

> - then you might start migrating web apps packages so that they install
>   (static) stuff under that dir, preserving the per-package path as
>   detailed in the webapps-common policy
>
> - then, the rule should go into policy (possibly under §9.1.1, has an
>   exception to FHS, not sure about the section though) and that can't
>   happen before due to the usual practice-should-predate-policy
>
> If it were me to try to achieve this, I would go for a DEP to keep track
> of consensus, ... but no, I'm not willing to drive this, at least not
> now :-)

It is a bit ambitious to have it _completely_ done by Squeeze. But we
can start pushing the right way. And anyway, I do not feel it is
asking too much. Yes, we cannot just go from using /var/www to
having its existence violate policy and making insta-RC, but as soon
as the (major at least) webserves change their defaults, we can start
filing wishlist bugs, pointing maintainers to this being a work in
progress and expecting it to be strictly enforced by policy for
squeeze+1.

--
Gunnar Wolf • gwolf@gwolf.org • (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244