Re: makedev is now priority extra

On Wed, Sep 16 2009, Bdale Garbee wrote:

> Bug #545309 causes me to realize that the recent lowering of priority
> for makedev to 'extra' motivates a review and update of policy section
> 10.6.

> Given udev, the majority of Debian systems in the future are unlikely to
> have makedev installed at all.

        Actually, udev, while nice, is optional, and I think I have read
 reports of admins opting _not_ to have udev on the system, so in some
 cases one may have systems without udev and with MAKEDEV. Policy should
 try to support this, if we can.

> There may be enough usage cases for static devices to motivate keeping
> it around at priority extra instead of requesting it be removed
> entirely, but it no longer seems appropriate for policy to mandate the
> use of MAKEDEV.

        Well, if you modify that statement to unconditionally call
 MAKEDEV, I will agree with you. Would it be sufficient if policy makes
 calling MAKEDEV conditional on the existence of /sbin/MAKEDEV?

> Also, note that all packages above priority extra that depend on makedev
> are now buggy with respect to policy section 2.5.

        Right. But this is a different issue.

        manoj
--
The Banana Principle: Heuristic devices don't tell you when to
stop. --anonymous