Re: Automatic Debug Packages

> On Sat, Aug 08 2009, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
>
>> Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>>
>>>         Not if that is all that is. So ddebs are just  -dbg packages
>>>  renamed to foo_version_arch.ddeb (you do not need ddeb in the name
>>>  since they are called .ddebs.)
>>
>> dpkg doesn't know about filenames AFAICS. So you can't coinstall
>> foo_1.0-1_i386.deb and foo_1.0-1_i386.ddeb, right? So we do want the
>> -ddeb suffix.
>
>         If we are going to enshrine ddebs into policy, we might as well
>  teach dpkg about ddebs.

Multiarch will require libfoo:i386 and libfoo:amd64 (for example). It
might be simple to teach dpkg to use libfoo:ddeb:i386 and
libfoo:ddeb:amd64 at the same time. Doesn't looks so nice though.

>> You can build a .ddeb manually, yes. However for some cases
>> (e.g. packages using debhelper and building ELF binaries) a .ddeb will
>> be automatically created (if none is created manually) and detached
>> debugging symbols will be put there. I'll try to automatize other
>> languages too, so that having full archive coverage is as simpler as
>> possible.
>
>         I don't use helper packages, including debhelper. So far, policy
>  has not required me to, so if you want to put anything about ddebs in
>  policy, there should be a route for people not using debhelper to
>  contribute to debug packages in Debian, and not be relegated to the
>  status of second class packages.
>
>         manoj

He isn't asking you too. He is just saying that those 95% of packages
using debhelper or cdbs or the like the ddeb can be build
automatically without even having to change the source (or with just
adding a single dh_make_ddebs). If you want to do it the hard way you
always can.

MfG
        Goswin