Re: debian/copyright and Files-Within-Files

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 10:02:45 -0400, Jonathan Yu wrote:

> >> How would we represent such a case? Would we need to unpack that
> >> tarball and then reference the files appropriately?
> > Unpacking the tarballs would mean modifying the pristine upstream tar,
> > wouldn't it?  I don't think we want to do that.
> That's what we've had to do,

Right, but only temporarily for getting the information.

> But that loses information there. And I don't think that's the way
> we're supposed to do things (in the pkg-perl packages we track each
> license separately).

Maybe we could use "sub-stanzas" like

Files: tarball1.tar.gz
Copyright: xxxx, main author
License: GPL-1 | Artistic
    Files: foo.pl
    Copyright: yyyy, some other guy
    License: Apache-2.0
etc. Or whatever creative stuff we can imagine :)

> > And these tarballs contain files with differing copyright holders?  Congrats
> > on finding a strange corner case. :)

:)

Cheers,
gregor