Re: Syntax issues in Policy Manual

On Jun 26, 2009, at 19:27, Steve Langasek wrote:

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 05:09:00PM +0200, Jeremiah Foster wrote:
I am also cautious about wiki'ising this manual.  I'd rather we go
through a more cautious process of agreeing the wording and ensuring
the detail is clear to all readers globally.

Well you could have a wikified version and a non-wikified as you
like, but surely a wiki would be more open and reflect debian's
openness.

No, it would reflect whatever random drive-by edits are inflicted on it. It
is *central* to the purpose of Debian policy that all changes to it be
subject to a rigorous public review process. Wiki-based editing of Debian
policy would be actively harmful.

I understand why both you and Russ feel that way. But I would like to respectfully disagree. I think you would find in practive this might be an excellent opportunity for people to get involved.

Wikis of course have all sorts of problems, but we've had surprisingly good experience in the maemo project with the wiki which has somewhat made me feel there is an opportunity to open up debian's policy as well. It often turns out that the worst that happens is no one writes anything. Then again, maemo is not debian.

One can take the best parts of the wiki and cast them into pdf or html or something more permanent.

Warm regards,

	Jeremiah