Re: Vcs-* and Other Fields

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Vcs: git:http://git.debian.org/...
> > Vcs: svn:http://svn.debian.org/...
> >
> > (This means that dpkg does not have to be updated for each new VCS).
>
> I'm unaware of this issue. I was under the impression that dpkg can
> simply handle fields transparently if it doesn't need to do anything
> with them. Why does dpkg need to be updated for each of ‘VCS-git’,
> ‘VCS-svn’, and so on if it doesn't actually use them?

Because debian/control fiels can be mapped into .dsc, .changes and .deb
and each field does not need to go everywhere. And also because dpkg warns
about unknown fields.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/