Re: Vcs-* and Other Fields

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 01:50:20PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:

> One additional thing I'd like to raise is the need for additional
> metadata to make better use of the VCS repository:

> - upstream branch
> - debian branch
> - possibly additional branches e.g. upstream stable/development
>   branches, and also debian stable/unstable/experimental branches

I don't think this stuff is relevant to keep in debian/control; the Debian
branch is the only one that maintainers should have to care about.  At
*most*, we should only be encoding the upstream branch corresponding to the
current package, but I'm not keen on this either.

> Maybe a set of Vcs*: tags would allow such uses?

> Vcs: git
> Vcs-Uri: git://git.debian.org/foo/bar
> Vcs-Debian: debian/unstable
> Vcs-Upstream: stable
> Vcs-Upstream-Stable: stable
> Vcs-Upstream-Unstable: master

This is not an abstraction that maps appropriately on all VCSes (or even on
all uses of a given VCS).  For a number of use cases, you have one URI per
branch; I think you want to sort out a URI format for git that can encode
the branch information as well.