Re: Architecture in *.dsc files

On Wednesday 27 May 2009 14:19:02 Russ Allbery wrote:
> Andres Mejia <mcitadel@gmail.com> writes:
> > Perhaps inclusive 'or' is meant here. That's the impression I get from
> > reading this.
> >
> > Perhaps a footnote saying "Here 'or' is meant inclusively" should be
> > added.
>
> Well, but that doesn't answer the more fundamental question.  What does
> an Architecture field like:
>
>     i386 amd64 all
>
> in a *.dsc file mean?  Currently, Policy is silent here.
>
> Can "any" ever appear in combination with architectures (if, for
> example, the package builds some binary packages only on some
> architectures and others on all architectures)?
>
> The section also has some comma-splice problems and isn't clear in a few
> other ways, so with that information I'll probably rewrite it completely
> and try to make it clearer.

Looking at the code for sbuild [1], it seems that the Architecture is being used
in the sense that policy should be written as,

"one may _either_ specify a list of architectures separated by spaces, or the
special values any or all."

I'm not sure if this is a problem with policy, or a problem with sbuild.

1. http://git.debian.org/?p=buildd-
tools/sbuild.git;a=blob;f=lib/Sbuild/Build.pm;h=e171239d9e7326b6dd00c24c004faffd3b8f4b43;hb=ce5ef3dabd6a722e8cd515f0694c09343ec49bed#l539

--
Regards,
Andres