Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:01:14AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> If they're built by the program, then anyone who wants to properly build
> the software, even if they don't want to go all the way to the package,
> will need to use the program, since people will write debian/rules such
> that it assumes the program is in use.  They'll assume default CFLAGS
> are set and so forth.

> I don't think this is the right direction to go, but I'm not going to
> stomp off in a huff if we go that direction or anything.  :)  But I do
> want to be sure that we're all clear on what we're saying if we do take
> that approach and make dpkg-buildpackage the only supported way to build
> packages.  I think it's likely that if we go that route, with it
> providing the defaults, we'll find over time that some packages will
> either not build or will mis-build with debian/rules build and no one
> will notice or be particularly interested in fixing it.

That's a fair point, and if preserving the behavior of debian/rules as a
standalone is important to others, then I'm happy for us to find a solution
that meets this requirement *as long as* it also avoids the pain of letting
mandated "config" files arbitrarily modify the behavior of debian/rules.

Robert Collins' suggestion in <[🔎] 1241989292.8026.20.camel@lifeless-64> seems
like a good approach for this, then (modulo the syntax bits, and putting the
tool in the dpkg-* namespace instead of debhelper's namespace).