Re: What about default-syslog [Re: new release goal default-mta?]

Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net> writes:

> I think it is a problem extending to all virtual packages, and I would
> like to see a more general solution which is applicable to all.  It
> might be worth revisiting past discussion, for example this thread:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2006/08/msg01281.html
>
> (I've CCd -devel and -policy because it's a general issue which should
> ideally be in policy)
>
> The above discussion proposed a solution like default-mta.  At the time,
> I also wrote a sample "virtual-default" package which generated these
> -defaults packages for all virtual packages in the archive.  At the time
> I held off actually implementing this because Anthony Towns said he was
> implementing a better method in dpkg itself.  However, I've not seen any
> more about this other than that single time, and if mta-defaults is being
> created it looks like we are still looking for a solution.

I think the default-* idea is good.

The thread above mentions both 'inet-superserver' and
'mail-transport-agent-default'.

May I suggest that we use default-* for this?  It helps to improve the
namespace.

Or even debian-default-* to be more clear that this is debian specific.

/Simon