Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

On Mon, 04 May 2009, Guillem Jover wrote:
> env var should not be set either, and we should work on getting a
> dpkg-vendor instead, before people try to start using the variable.

FYI, I already started this.

> start fixing packages to include that makefile. The files could look
> something like:
>
> ,-- /usr/share/dpkg/build-options.mk
> # distro defaults
> FOO := distro
>
> -include /etc/dpkg/build-options.mk
> `--

Note that recent changes have aimed at avoiding fork of dpkg by
integrating upstream some distro-specific logic. We should do the same for
this file then... ie accept that external vendors provide us their
defaults and have the dpkg source package pick the right one based on the
current vendor.

> ,-- debian/rules
> -include /usr/share/dpkg/build-options.mk
>
> # package overrides
> FOO := pkg
> `--

Probably without the leading "-", otherwise we have a risk to not have any
sane default at all. And we should add a build-dependency instead.

Or maybe that choice can be left to the maintainer.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/