Re: Sponsorship requirements and copyright files

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 11:47:37AM +0100, Rene Engelhard wrote:
> Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> >
> > *binary*
>
> But we do distribute binaries in the debs - and debian/copyright is
> not only for the source but also ends up in the deb.

Actually, Policy does not make mandatory for the .deb file to contain
a copyright file at all:

     `/usr/share/doc/<package>' may be a symbolic link to another directory
     in `/usr/share/doc' only if the two packages both come from the same
     source and the first package Depends on the second.[2]

(I am not a fan of this particular paragraph of Policy, but that is
irrelevant, and there is a number of packages taking advantage of that)

Policy also allows package to refer to /usr/share/common-licenses (part of
base-files) for actual license texts (for a limited set of license).

So we already allow packages to reference other packages for license
informations. Binary package referencing its source package for detailed
license information is not quite a stretch.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.