Re: Fixing old-fsf-address-in-copyright-file

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

>> Reading between the lines, it sounds like you don't think that the FSF
>> address needs to be in the copyright file either, correct?

> I'm undecided. I think it's part of the license grant; certainly the FSF
> make much of the fact that the recipient needs to be explicitly informed
> of the license so they have every opportunity to know what their
> freedoms are.

I guess that what I'm arguing is that we're telling the user how to get
the GPL by adding the pointer to common-licenses, which in essence
supersedes for Debian packages the need to go get it from the FSF.  If
someone wanted to provide both sets of instructions, that's certainly
okay, but I don't see a reason to require it.