Re: Policy 3.8.1

Bill Allombert wrote:
On Sun, Mar 01, 2009 at 09:54:25PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
I think it's time (really, probably past time) for the 3.8.1 upload.
There's still some stuff in flight, but that's always going to be true,
and a lot of bugs are already fixed in Git.

My intention is to upload 3.8.1 next weekend, which will hopefully give me
time to prepare a corresponding Lintian release to upload around the same
time.  Please let me know if there's some reason not to upload then.  I'll
try to get a few more things wrapped up and committed for that release,
but I'm likely to be fairly pressed for time during the week, so I
probably won't get much in that isn't already there.

Personnally I am for releasing anytime we made normative changes because
the Debian policy package should stay as close as possible to the actual policy. This allow to point developers to a section of the policy
document rather than a buglog.

But in this manner there is a risk of unneeded upload, in order to
increase policy version or to remove warning from lintian about old policy.
I think to much upload could confuse also the developers.

I think policy upgrade in package should be done (most of time) smoothly,
thus letting packagers to update slowly their package.

Anyway it should be decided case by case, and for now I like the
batch mode on policy upgrades.

ciao
	cate

So go for it!