Re: Bits from the Policy Team, call for volunteers

Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr> writes:

> Well, I think we should somehow do a better job of documenting in the
> Policy itself why a decision has been made. If you look at the threads
> "Debian version numbers and strcmp()" and "mail_spool default mode is
> 0660" it would have been very useful to have a pointer to the rational
> of the original decision.

This was one of the things that Manoj had discussed as part of the
reworking of Policy to use Docbook.  The way I envisioned this is similar
to the way the POSIX standard is presented: a set of normative sections
stating the requirements, and then a set of informative sections providing
examples and additional clarifying information.  I think a summary of the
reasons for a decision would be a great thing to include.  One could then
produce a manual with or without the additional explanatory information.

We do have a volunteer to work on a style guide for a Docbook-based
Policy, sometime after the lenny release.

Until that time, I'm not sure if we should try to shoehorn something into
the existing format (which doesn't have a clear space for it), or rely on
the changelog documentation with the intention of later importing as much
of that as possible into a richer format.