Re: Debian version numbers and strcmp()

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:
> them), but I've only thought about it for a couple of minutes.  It would,
> however, change the current sort order by making 0.1 > 0.02, whereas
> currently 0.1 < 0.02.  I haven't checked to see if that would break
> anything in the archive.

I'm pretty sure it would break in multiple places. This awkwardness has
led to several epoch usage and/or uptsream version mangling on Debian
packages. I have seen upstream publish 1.001 to 1.006 then 1.2 (and we
noticed because we had to work around it). The inverse is probably true
too… we certainly have packages with versions 1.00X and 1.Y in successive
distributions.

> My personal inclination is to leave it alone on the grounds that it's too
> fundamental to change without an extremely compelling reason.

+1

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog