Re: Stepping down from Policy team

"Russ Allbery" <rra@debian.org> wrote in message [🔎] 87prjhukzl.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu">news:[🔎] 87prjhukzl.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu...

Hi folks,

        In keeping with my gradual disengagement from the project, anre
 removing myself from positions that  bring me into contention with
 public facets of Debian, I am am now stepping down from the Policy
 team. This is bitter sweet, since I have been helping manage policy for
 a lot longer than I have been secretary (I think I took up policy after
 our last policy czar resigned abruptly for very similar reasons to why
 I am letting go, back in '98 or so).  If I decide to remain with the
 project, I guess I can always ask to join the team again, but at this
 point, I am not sure I want to do so.

Debian Policy, from my first interactions with Debian, has been the one
thing above all others that led me to decide that this was the project
that I wanted to work on.  And for as long as I've known of Debian, you've
been involved in guiding that process.  So in some sense, it was your work
that brought me to the project in the first place.

Strongly agree. Whatever problems Debian has, Debian Policy is not one of them. Sure it has a few rough edges, but people almost never even condier debating Policy itself, since it is usually quite clear. Policy-related debates are almost always resticited to questions of "how do we fix this issue in Policy?", and the debates that do occur are almost always debates of the productive form. And policy related flamewars are nearly non-existant.

Policy Team is one of the only infrastructure teams to never be acused of being non-resposive, too slow, etc. (It is not physical infrastructure, but it is still more than a mere package maintenance team).