Re: Complying with x-terminal-emulator

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 02:26:11PM +0100, Tony Houghton wrote:
> ROXTerm <http://roxterm.sourceforge.net> provides the virtual package
> x-terminal-emulator but it hasn't been made official and I'm not sure
> whether there are special requirements. I see that gnome-terminal has a
> wrapper script that makes its options more like xterm's. Is there an
> official specification for x-terminal-emulator compliance or should one
> just make the options as much like xterm's as possible, or doesn't it
> really matter at all as long as the options are documented in its man
> page?

Please read Debian policy 11.8.3. Packages providing a terminal emulator:

     To be an `x-terminal-emulator', a program must:
        * Be able to emulate a DEC VT100 terminal, or a compatible
          terminal.
        * Support the command-line option `-e <command>', which creates a
          new terminal window[1] and runs the specified <command>,
          interpreting the entirety of the rest of the command line as a
          command to pass straight to exec, in the manner that `xterm'
          does.
        * Support the command-line option `-T <title>', which creates a new
          terminal window with the window title <title>.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.