policy and ftp-masters

On the bug: #479080

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 21:40:04 +0200, Giacomo Catenazzi <cate@debian.org> said:
I think policy should include a incomplete list of "essential"
package, because of the "side effect" (no dependencies on essential
package).

        No, this decision should remain with the ftp-masters, not hard
 coded into policy.

I've two commentaries.

"hard coded into policy" seems to me to strong.
I don't think policy should be written in stone.

But my main commentary is about ftp-master "policies".
I agree that ftp-masters have rule power on copyright,
structure of archive, essential packages, etc. , but
I like that the documentation is included in the policy
package.

From a user (developer) point of view, it is a lot
better to have the policies in one place, and possibily
without searching the web.

BTW and we have already a virtual-package-names-list.txt.gz
and a lot of specific policies.
So I would like to have a essential-package-names-list.txt.gz,
and an archive-policy with section rule and copyright rules
directly from the ftp-masters.

What do you things?

ciao
	cate