Re: trap / kill

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:49:47 -0700, Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> said:

> Raphael Geissert <atomo64@gmail.com> writes:
>> With Adam agreeing to make this private conversation public, please
>> read below and comment.  If necessary I don't mind a report to be
>> filled against the package.

> Please open a bug against debian-policy for this issue so that we can
> track the discussion.  I think we should at least talk about whether
> to add signal numbers for kill/trap given how widely they're used in
> portable code like Autoconf and Libtool.

        I would not have minded trying to fix 179 packages to use signal
 names rather than numbers; but if Autoconf and Libtool use numbers,
 then the problem grows larger.

        Mind you, XSI extensions allow the use of numbers instead of
 names for a limited set of signals, so if we allow XSI  extensions, I
 think we'll be fine.

        I would certainly be more comfortable if we stick to POSIX
 (including XSI) rather than just accepting any old number in trap.

        manoj
--
If you go out of your mind, do it quietly, so as not to disturb those
around you.