Re: Task list for a policy release

On Sat, Dec 01, 2007 at 10:13:49PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> writes:
> #250202: [PROPOSAL] "debian/README.source" file for packages with
> non-trivial source
>
> Bleh.  This is kind of a mess.
>
> I don't like the last wording proposal in that it advocates strongly
> against using quilt or dpatch, which as near as I can tell from other
> Debian mailing list discussion and packaging teams are widely considered
> best practices inside Debian even though they don't immediately give you
> editable source.

It does not advocate against quilt/dpatch: you can use quilt or dpatch
and provide editable source.  It is just a matter of having clean depend
on 'patch' instead of 'unpatch'.

Anyway as long as people are using packaged patch system instead of
custom one, reading the build-depends is usually sufficient to deal with
the package.

> #65577: [Amended] copyright should include notice if a package is not a
> part of Debian distribution
>
> I think this is a great idea and should be done.  However, I don't think
> it's currently being done with contrib and non-free packages, so it's one
> of the standard Policy chicken-and-egg situations.  I'm in favor of
> applying this at the recommendation level (instead of the should that's in
> the current wording).

Another issue is that packages that are not in the Debian archive are
not bound by policy.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>