Re: Debian policy manual CVS address?

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 04:03:30 +0200, Jari Aalto <jari.aalto@cante.net> said:

> Could you confirm that the Arch repository is the correct location?
>     baz register-archive http://arch.debian.org/arch/dbnpolicy/lenny/
> Is this correct?

        Yes.

> A wishlist: Could git be considered instead of baz, because git's
> development seems to advance fast and it would be more easy to use
> (just one "clone" command to get archive).

        I think the ease of use is a subjective issue; I find arch far
 easier to use :-). Secondly, rapid development is not necessarily a
 positive; as long as a tool does the job it is supposed to do, there is
 no real reason for changes to be made rapidly.  Arch is in maintainence
 mode, and security flaws would tend to get fixed, so it is not as if it
 is abandoned upstream.

        I am waiting for sub projects (or whatever git calls them) to
 get better supported in the porcelain before I would like to move the
 policy over to git; I am thinking about splitting up sub policies to
 their own arch project (menu, Perl, python, etc subpolicies) creating a
 separate book.  This way, using arch configs one may stitch up multiple
 independent repositories into a single package, which creates a set of
 books.

        It takes me about 6 months to get comfortable with a new VCS
 system; and to build the scaffolding around it to suit my workflow, and
 I would rather not spend the time now switching;  but I think there are
 tools that would allow a parallel git tree to be maintained from a set
 of arch repositories?

        manoj
--
But if you wish at once to do nothing and to be respectable nowdays, the
best pretext is to be at work on some profound study.  -- Leslie