Re: Debian Menu transition

Bill Allombert wrote:

>> I'm trying to figure out where most of the apps from xbase-clients
>> should go in the new menu structure, since they all used to be in
>> Apps/Tools, and I don't see anything obvious.  I suppose xeyes could go
>> in some subsection of Games like Games/Toys, but what about xev, xrandr,
>> xkill & co?

Recently there was a short discussion on debian-devel about applets like
xeyes and Debian Menu [1]. I wanted to forward it to you, Bill, but
forgot it, sorry.

Here is a summary:

Russ Allbery:

>>> I think there are a fair number.  While a lot of them can find room
>>> elsewhere (such as Games/Toys for things like xeyes), there are other
>>> "pseudo-window-manager" utilities that have been around for a long time.
>>> unclutter comes to mind.  Or the millions of desktop clocks, for which I
>>> also don't see a great category.

[...]

Me:

>> What about:
>>
>> "Docks, launchers, clocks, and other applets to add general features to
>> a graphical environment, but not system configuration tools."

[...]

>> "Desktop Applets"

[...]

Russ Allbery:

> Works for me.  You may want to say "not system configuration or monitoring
> tools" to explicitly exclude gkrellm, xload, etc., which have another
> category into which they fit better.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/07/msg00811.html

I do not have a list of applications, but I guess there really is a fair
number that could go here. What I fear is that it would become another
incarnation of "Tools", if not done right.

Oh, and not to hijack the thread...

> xev is a test tool so maybe there is no need for a menu entry.
> If you add one, maybe put it in System/Monitoring, with something
> like "x-terminal-emulator -e xev" so that xev output is displayed.

Yes, please create a menu entry. It is a very useful application, but
not a very widely known one.

> xkill is a bit dangerous to be in the menu: you might kill the
> window-manager by clicking on the menu decoration by mistake. It would
> belong to System/Administration I think.

It may be dangerous, but it is useful nevertheless. Especially for
novice users that may not know how to terminate a misbehaving application.

P.S. I suggest we continue this on debian-policy.