Re: Range Voting - the simpler better alternative to Condorcet voting

On Sat, 19 May 2007, CLAY S wrote:
> My name is Clay Shentrup and I am an Ubuntu user - so I have much respect
> for your endeavors and your hard work on them.  I write to discuss a simple
> improvement that could be had with your elections, merely by changing to a
> better and simpler voting method: Range Voting.

Warren Smith's copious arguments to the contrary, it's not entirely
clear that Range Voting is superior to or even simpler than
concordecet voting.

> Dr. Smith also has done some analysis of Debian's elections, which represent
> a wonderful dataset for scientific study.
> http://rangevoting.org/Debian2003.html

His analysis is rather scanty, unfortunatly, and fails to provide any
real reasoning why we should even consider switching to Range Voting,
especially as the conversion from the balots cast to RV balots is
entirely arbitrary.

Finally, if you are really interested in even being able to test RV in
Debian, you need to actually write the code to implement RV in
devotee.

Don Armstrong

--
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended
up where I needed to be.