Re: Proposalto introduce compiler options passed from dpkg-buildpackage

user srivasta@debian.org
usertag 432564 +dubious
thanks

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 08:15:08 +0000 (UTC), Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> said:

> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta <at> debian.org> writes:
>>
>> On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 21:11:53 +0100, Matthias Klose <doko
>> <at> cs.tu-berlin.de>
> said:
>>
>> > IIRC we cannot assume that debian/rules is a makefile and pass them
>> > as macros directly, so we have to pass them as environment
>> > variables.
>>
>> I think you remember incorrectly. Policy currently states
> [...]
>> This file must be an executable makefile,

> Indeed - but there's a bug, #432564, requesting to change it.

        That is the same as the older bug#88111, filed 1 Mar 2001. As
 far as I can tell, both these bug are about a proposal that
  a) Adds no practical value
  b) does not represent current practice
  c) not implementing the proposal is not a technical hindrance to any
     package
  d) stands in the way of technical proposals like passing information
     to the build system on the command line
  e) prevents people from relying on make semantics for builds.

        The only reason for the bug report seems to be
 a) because we can
 b) aesthetics
 c) profit???

        I am convinced that this bug report is of dubious value, and if
 Russ agrees, I am going to just mark this report as closed, or as
 wontfix.

        manoj
--
Is that really YOU that is reading this?