Re: Source version in .changes

Magnus Holmgren <holmgren@lysator.liu.se> writes:

> Section 5.6.1 of the DPM states:

>  "In a main source control information, a .changes or a .dsc file this may
>   contain only the name of the source package.

This grammar correct not entirely.

>   In the control file of a binary package it may be followed by a version
>   number in parentheses."

> This doesn't feel sound in the .changes case, and dpkg-genchanges does
> include the source version in parentheses when preparing a binNMU
> (i.e. when the version in the top changelog entry ends with "+bN", where
> N is a positive integer, and the binary version therefore is set to
> differ from the source version).

> Is this a bug in the policy or in dpkg?

I don't know.

Would you be willing to try to track this down?  I think the best route
would be to ask the dpkg maintainers what dpkg expects and what dpkg
generates.  If dpkg-source doesn't care about the version in parens in
.dsc, and if this is currently being done in some cases (and therefore we
know that dak doesn't mind), it seems reasonable to me to change Policy to
match.

Once you get more information about this, could you file a bug against
debian-policy with the details?

Thank you!