Re: should executables be permitted to update themselves?

Hi!

* Linas Žvirblis <0x0007@gmail.com> [070114 12:14]:

> Not sure about The Policy, but I can see a lot of reasons why this
> should not be done:
>
>  1. The md5 sums will not match anymore, so one cannot
>     verify the integrity of the file.
>  2. The actual version of application will be different
>     from the one reported by apt, so future upgrades may
>     actually downgrade the application.
>  3. Version information in bug reports may be wrong.
>  4. The upstream build may not work because of mismatched
>     dependencies.
>  5. The upstream build may introduce bugs.
>  6. The upstream build may not be DFSG free.
>  7. Etc. etc...

Don't forget possible reverse dependencies of the upgraded package which
might affect other installed packages (e.g. interface change).

And what about debian patches in the package, or changes installation
paths?

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander

--