Re: First draft of review of policy must usage

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 10:26:44PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:

> >>         This flows from the Release policy. Not specifying /bin/bash
> >>  in scripts is not considered a RC bug.

> > Oh Gosh! This _is_ a RC bug. If I change the /bin/sh to point to
> > /bin/dash (and I usually do that) some script will break and this
> > cannot happen since they said, when defining their shell as sh, that
> > they're using just POSIX functionality.

> Indeed, it's a bug, though it's not release critical yet...

> > That kinda of change in policy can decrease the overall quality of
> > packages. Release policy is _wrong_.

> It's an important bug and might become release critical after etch...

In practice, such bugs were treated as "borderline" RC even for sarge, and I
don't think I've downgraded any such bugs myself during etch.  This isn't a
good time to make such an adjustment to the RC policy without some idea of
the impact, but I'd be happy if all maintainers treated such bugs in their
packages as if they /were/ RC, if nothing else.  (And in general, I think
fixes for non-serious policy bugs should be considered by the release team
during the freeze...)

> I don't think it's a good idea to change the policy manual for every release
> to match release RC policy. In current policy it's clear that it's a bug that
> should be fixed in the package and I'm sure it will become release critical in
> a next release...

I would expect the RC policies to differ only incrementally between
releases, so don't see updating policy for every release being a real
problem, if this is the direction people think we should go.