Re: [Proposal] Simplify upstream version string rule (5.6.12)

[please CC, I am not subscribed]

Hello,

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>        Sorry, this is not a good justification for additional
> restriction nor one for a policy change. What is so hard to
> udnerstand  about native debian packages should not have a hyphen,
> but there is no restrictions on upstream hyphjen usage in versions?
> Or that upstream versions could have colons as long as the package
> has an epoch?

Of course progams and humans can deal with that. But IMO simplicity is
always benefitial for one of the most fundamental guidelines for the
Debian project. The section in the policy that explains version
numbering is rather technical and could be significantly simplified
without those exceptions.

But it seems that most people value the possiblity to literally reflect
upstream version strings as far as possible higher than the
simplification of the policy.

Best regards

Ben