Re: Are packages allowed to ship files in /srv?

George Danchev <danchev@spnet.net> writes:

> I don't see /var/www mentioned in FHS, and we have bunch of web-based
> applications (think of whatever www-based admin package, like phppgadmin
> for instance) and these packages at some point need to install their
> files in some document root directory and it will probably be under /srv
> in the future.

I've never understood why such applications don't install their files
under /usr/share.  At least with Apache, there's no need to install files
under the document root; you can use Alias directives and similar
techniques to serve files from anywhere in the file system.  I assume
other full-featured web servers have similar capabilities.

The URL space of a given web server varies so much by site that personally
I prefer not having any web application available via the web immediately
after package installation.  Maybe it's short-sighted of me, but as a
person installing packages, I always prefer to have the package not serve
its files by default but instead tell me in README.Debian what
configuration fragment I should add.