Re: rpath and /usr/lib/<package> directories

On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 02:25:49PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Please note that this (rpath) prevents automatic multiarch conversion
> for packages. Instead of a simple post procesing of the deb files a
> much more complicated change has to be made to change the rpath. It
> also requires the use of extra -L statements during build.

> In conclusion /usr/lib/<package> for shared libraries just makes
> everybodies live more complicated.

Which is no different from all the other mechanisms used for lookups of
private modules; they all require source modification for paths to be fixed
to allow co-existence in a multiarch environment.  The only way through this
is to define multiarch-clean paths and encourage their use.