Re: Question regarding policy wording

Frank Küster <frank@debian.org> writes:

> It is common practice that /usr/share/doc/<package>/ is a symlink to
> /usr/share/doc/<other_package>/ if <package> Depends: <other_package>.
> Therefore I don't see why the copyright file couldn't be a symlink to
> /usr/share/doc/<other_package>/copyright.

When would you want to do this and not link the whole doc directory?

The goal is to ensure that the copyright file is always installed and
accurate for that binary package, so it must be impossible for it to be
symlinked to another package that isn't a dependency or that doesn't come
from exactly the same source package (since licensing information
changes).  It always seemed to me that those cases where one can still get
this information from another package are pretty much exactly the cases
where one wants to symlink the whole doc directory and are permitted to do
so by policy.