Re: Autobuilding and the build-arch target, again

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 06:45:07PM +0100, Simon Richter wrote:
> There have been various proposals on that matter, and it always boils
> down to the same chicken-and-egg problem:
>
>  - policy documents existing practice, which is to invoke "build".
>  - the existing practice cannot be changed because it would break packages
>  - the policy cannot be changed because there needs to be an
> implementation first.
>
> To summarize the proposals so far:

You forget my proposal in bug #218893 to add a Build-Options control
field indicating if the build-arch target exist, and the patch in
bug #229357.

So far I am waiting a decision from the dpkg maintainers.

At the time the dpkg maintainers were strongly opposed to requiring
the build-arch target but maybe things have changed.

Cheers,
Bill.