Bug #15412 etherconf in sid

I cannot seem to submit this anywhere, I'm getting bounced no matter what list I join.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bruce Edge < bruce.edge@gmail.com>
Date: Dec 15, 2006 8:34 AM
Subject: Bug #15412 etherconf in sid
To: 154142@bugs.debian.org

This bug has digressed into a policy issue and has no solution to the original problem.
Is this still an active consideration, or is etherconf and the debconf management that it provided for ethernet interfaces dead and gone?

Personally, I found it to be a great tool as the debconf interface is easily scriptable and simplifies the automated management of IP interfaces.

Am I to assume that my installations will now consist of an extra:
  apt-get install dchp-client dhcp3-client-
  dpkg -i etherconf

That seems pretty hokey. Surely there can be a solution to pull this back into sid?

No one mentioned an etherconf3 package to be compatible with dhcp3-client. Is that an option?

Thanks, Bruce