Re: question about initscripts

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 04:51:11AM +0000, Fergal Daly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> about avahi-daemon's init script. It seems from a recent comment that
> avahi-daemon might actually be a special case (in which case perhaps
> it should not have an entry in /etc/init.d) so I'll phrase this as a
> general question.
>
> The document above says that "start" should "start the service" but it
> seems there are quite a few debian packages where this does not work
> because their initscripts contain things like
>
> ---
> test -f /etc/default/fetchmail || exit 0
> . /etc/default/fetchmail
> if [ ! "x$START_DAEMON" = "xyes" ]; then
>        echo "Edit /etc/default/fetchmail to start fetchmail"
>        exit 0
> fi
> ---

There are two issues here:

1) fetchmail is normally run by users. system-wide fetchmail service is
an interesting feature (I use it) but the majority of fetchmail users
do not need it. So the fetchmail package provide it but it is not
activate by default. However this does not prevent users to run fetchmail
for their own accounts.

2) To avoid unwanted behaviour, services should not start before they
are configured.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>