Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy, version two

[Thomas Bushnell]
> I'm interested in why we should care at all.  Perl is a far bigger space
> hog than bash.

Debian Edu had to switch /bin/sh from bash to dash to get shutdown to
umount /usr/ when we use libnss-ldap (bug #159771).  Bash loads user
information using nss when it starts, and thus loads the shared ldap
library from /usr/ on invocation.  This make it unusable in a system
with LDAP users.

Switching to dash as /bin/sh gave us a nice surprise with reduced
memory consumption and faster boots as well, but that was not the
reason why we switched.

Friendly,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen