Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy, version two

On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 09:16:15AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-23 at 13:43 +0200, Jari Aalto wrote:
> >
> > Bash is not essential for running Debian. It is possible to run old
> > PCs and old laptops completely free of bash. The point here is not the
> > disk consumption, but the reduced memory constrainsts. When scripts
> > are written with only "sh" in mind, they become portable to even
> > embedded systems (think busybox). Every bash-dependent scipt that runs
> > on the system, takes memory out from other processes.
>
> What about "perl".  Is that essential?  Why are you not going for big
> targets?
> > Education sector and 3rd world still have PCs that are *years* and
> > *tears* old. Everybody do not live in countries where computers or
> > hardware are cheap.
>
> Guess what?  I used bash on that old hardware when it was shiny and new
> also.  Didn't seem to have any problems.

Somehow I doubt that you used today's version of bash (which I bet
is a lot bigger and more memory-consuming due to new features).

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //