Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 10:06:15 -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG <tb@becket.net> said:

> On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 04:14 -0700, Bruce Sass wro
>>
>> AFAICT, "/bin/sh can be a symbolic link to any POSIX compatible
>> shell" does not really convey what Debian wants, it would be better
>> to state that, `only POSIX features should be used in Debian "sh"
>> scripts', followed by a list of exceptions (which would presumably
>> be a subset of those features in common use which exist in all
>> shells allowed to be "sh".)

> The problem is that "POSIX feature" is a meaningless term in this
> context.

> If "test -a" is not a POSIX feature (or any other random test
> arguments bandied about here), then so calling "debconf" is also not
> a POSIX feature, and for exactly the same reason: either might be
> overridden by a builtin.

        Debian Technical policy is applicable to Debian systems.  A
 POSIX shell, in this context, lives on a Debian OS.  I the shell
 overrides debconf in an incompatible manner, that would break things,
 and would be a grave bug.

        Policy is to allow people to assemble packages for a Debian
 system, and is not meant to be used for honing debating skills over
 corner cases.

        In this case, your scripts are meant tot be runnable using a
 POSIX (+ a few features) compatible shell on a Debian system.   It is
 understood that the shells in question do not have grave bugs.

        manoj
--
byob, v: Believing Your Own Bull