Policy process (was: [Pkg-sysvinit-devel] Re: Moving /var/run to a tmpfs?)

Copying the debian-policy list, since this conversation is basically about
that.

Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> writes:

> I don't think policy changes need to be seconded.  We have a policy team
> that should decide on what comes in policy and what not.  Although, it
> more looks like it's just 1 person doing all the work.

> I sometimes feel that they go to slow which changing things, and I'm not
> really sure it's a good or bad thing.

> Some of those currently open bugs against the policy package, like your
> ~ in version numbers, really shouldn't be a problem to get into the
> policy.  I don't think anybody has a problem with it.  I think it's just
> that no new version of the policy has been made yet.

Well, policy-process is still shipped with the debian-policy package, and
my experience in the past is that when I follow that process, the changes
go into Policy fairly quickly.  Certainly seconding would show that
someone reviewed the wording of my proposed ~ patch and has confirmed that
it sounds like an accurate and implementable description of their
behavior.

Maybe Manoj could weigh in on how he sees the current process?