Re: soversion for shared libraries?

Hi,

> Sorry to say, but I disagree. Surely compatibility issues
> should be covered in the Debian Policy manual. Esp. looking
> at Ubuntu compatibility is (or will become) highly important.

Debian should prioritize compatibility within Debian itself; and focus
on it. If it's broken that's a serious bug.

For upstream, we may or may not want to follow it, considering that
Debian has a need to stay binary-compatible with itself, and that's
not something many upstream care about.

Usually binary compatibility is not available since even the essential
libraries like glibc are patched incompatibly, which makes the
discussion of binary compatibility almost moot.  For
cross-distribution binary compatibility we have LSB.

This is more of a problem of Debian-derivatives like Ubuntu having to
keep compatibility with upstream (Debian), really.

regards,
	junichi
--
dancer@{debian.org,netfort.gr.jp}   Debian Project