Re: soversion for shared libraries?

Hi,

> Maybe I haven't seen it, but IMHO the Debian policy should
> be more precise about _which_ soversion to use for shared
> libraries.
>
> Can we use our own soversion, ignoring other Linux distros
> and the rest of the world? Is upstream always right?
>
> Of course this affects portability on binary level. In my case
> I stumbled over libpcre3.

This isn't too much of a policy issue. It's about

1. backwards compatibility within Debian

2. cross-distribution binary-compatibility

3. upstream compatibility

where 2 and 3 are usually less important than 1, since we don't
pretend to be binary-compatible with other distributions.

regards,
	junichi
--
dancer@{debian.org,netfort.gr.jp}   Debian Project