rpath and /usr/lib/<package> directories

Hi,

I recently uploaded courierpassd, which wraps some functionality of
courier-authlib in the popassd protocol. lintian has been warning me
about the use of rpath, about which I posted on debian-mentors. This
culminated in the following thread:

    http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2006/07/msg00221.html

Which along with several other related comments motivated me to open bug
#378241, asking courier-authlib to move its public libraries to
/usr/lib, per Policy 10.2, which would remove the necessity of
courierpassd using rpath.

Steve Langasek followed up with the bug, wisely decreasing its
severety and stating:

   "I think that suggestion in policy is worse than using rpath and that
   this ought to be revised."

With that extended background, here are my two specific requests:

    1) It would be really nice if policy said something about rpath.
       Currently the most official documentation about it which I could
       find is:

          http://wiki.debian.org/RpathIssue

       If rpath is going to be checked for by lintian, then it seems
       reasonable to me that there be some official documentation
       explaining Debian's position on the matter. I've currently asked
       for this in lintian's bug #378054, but perhaps there should be a
       parallel bug in debian-policy or elsewhere?

    2) It would be nice to have some further discussion on Steve's comment
       regarding the relative merit of using rpath and /usr/lib/<package>
       versus moving all shared libraries into /usr/lib. I opened bug
       #378055 in lintian about this, but given the developments which
       have taken place since then, it is no longer clear to me what the
       right thing is for lintian to do. Again, I think that
       clarification on this is in policy's domain.

thanks,
Charles

--
A beard