Bug#355263: marked as done (policy 12.5: Please recommend a sane practice WRT different gpl versions (was: Re: RFC/RFS: beef - a flexible BrainFuck interpreter))
Your message dated Tue, 25 Apr 2006 22:47:06 -0700
with message-id <E1FYcri-0000SU-IP@spohr.debian.org>
and subject line Bug#355263: fixed in debian-policy 18.104.22.168
has caused the attached Bug report to be marked as done.
This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.
(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what I am
talking about this indicates a serious mail system misconfiguration
somewhere. Please contact me immediately.)
Debian bug tracking system administrator
(administrator, Debian Bugs database)
--- Begin Message ---
- To: Debian BTS Submission <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: policy 12.5: Please recommend a sane practice WRT different gpl versions (was: Re: RFC/RFS: beef - a flexible BrainFuck interpreter)
- From: Justin Pryzby <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 10:16:21 -0500
- Message-id: <20060304151621.GG21490@andromeda>
- In-reply-to: <20060304111429.GB9346@pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl>
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <20060302192448.GA15416@capsaicin.mamane.lu> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20060304111429.GB9346@pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl>
On Sat, Mar 04, 2006 at 12:14:29PM +0100, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:41:59PM +0100, Andrea Bolognani wrote:
> > > * W: The program is licensed under GPL version 2.
> > Will not fix. From the Policy, section 12.5:
> > "Packages distributed under the UCB BSD license, the Artistic license,
> > the GNU GPL, and the GNU LGPL should refer to the files
> > /usr/share/common-licenses/BSD,
> > /usr/share/common-licenses/Artistic, /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL, and
> > /usr/share/common-licenses/LGPL respectively"
> > So /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL is the right file to point to.
"according to policy"
> Perhaps Policy needs an upgrade here... It seems logical to me that you must
> always point to the license which is used. In case of "GPL version 2 or
> later", that is usually understood as "the latest version of the GPL"
> (although of course the user may choose to use an earlier version, as long as
> it's at least version 2). This is what the GPL symlink is for: it always
> points to the latest version. A program which is "GPL v2 only" is of course
> not licensed under "the latest version", but under v2. The fact that they are
> currently the same is irrelevant: they are conceptually different.
> So the GPL symlink is simply the wrong thing to point at, because it isn't the
> license which is used (because it's "the latest version", not "version 2").
> Appearantly policy isn't so clear about the /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2,
> but it being there strongly suggests that it should be used for programs which
> are licensed under "GPL v2 only".
While we're at it, section 2.3 uses the phrase "BSD-like copyrights"
which should be "BSD-like licenses".
#336982 against dh-make is mildly related.
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of
debian-policy, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive:
A summary of the changes between this version and the previous one is
Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed. If you
have further comments please address them to email@example.com,
and the maintainer will reopen the bug report if appropriate.
Debian distribution maintenance software
Manoj Srivastava <firstname.lastname@example.org> (supplier of updated debian-policy package)
(This message was generated automatically at their request; if you
believe that there is a problem with it please contact the archive
administrators by mailing email@example.com)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:56:16 -0500
Architecture: source all
Maintainer: Debian Policy List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Changed-By: Manoj Srivastava <email@example.com>
debian-policy - Debian Policy Manual and related documents
Closes: 32263 117916 148194 190753 199849 212434 230217 341232 342611 344158 346598 349010 349775 355263 357613 359817 361137 362247 362975
debian-policy (22.214.171.124) unstable; urgency=low
* Bug fix: "[PENDING AMENDMENT 20/01/2000] Splitting cgi-bin", thanks to
Brian White. (Closes: #32263).
* Bug fix: "debian-policy: [PROPOSAL] Should update to Filesystem
Hierarchy Standard FHS 2.3", thanks to Tobias Burnus
(Closes: #230217, #212434, #344158).
* Bug fix: "[AMENDMENT 11/04/2006] Permit multi-line fields in
debian/control", thanks to John R. Daily. Mention that all fields,
except the Uploaders, are supposed to be a single logical line, which
may be spread over multiple physical lines (newline followed by space
is elided). Also mention that anything parsing the control file must
allow for a multi-line uploaders field. (Closes: #148194).
* Bug fix: "[AMENDMENT 12/04/2004] frown on programs in PATH with
language extentions", thanks to Joey Hess. (Closes: #190753).
* Bug fix: "init script stop example should use --oknodo", thanks to
Matt Kraai. Removed the example entirely. (Closes: #346598).
* Bug fix: "policy 12.5: Please recommend a sane practice WRT different
gpl versions (was: Re: RFC/RFS: beef - a flexible BrainFuck
interpreter)", thanks to Justin Pryzby. The subject leaves something
to be desired, but polic should not attempt to enumerate all common
licenses. (Closes: #355263).
* Bug fix: "debian-policy: Conflicting Architecture definitions", thanks
to Hans Ulrich Niedermann. Punt to dpkg-architecture to providing
legal architecture strings, since that's what is used by everyone
anyway. The version in policy was wrong, but that s=does not seem to
have hindered anyone, which indicates that this policy directive was
uneeded. Now the dpkg-architecture list is deemed authoritative, which
it is, but the format for the string is defined by policy, and the
current list of architecture strings is in an informative foot note.
* Bug fix: "[AMENDMENT 06/04/2006] Make use of invoke-rc.d, if
available, mandatory", thanks to Lars Wirzenius. (Closes: #361137).
* Bug fix: "no longer current regarding X font paths", thanks to Joey
Hess (Closes: #362247).
* Bug fix: "debian-policy: please prohibit circular dependencies, or
mention that dependencies won't be respected during prerm remove",
thanks to Justin Pryzby. Well, we did not prohibit circular
dependencies. But we do now have a warning that In case of circular
dependencies, since installation or removal order honoring the
dependency order can't be established, dependency loops are broken at
some random point, and some packages may not be able to rely on their
dependencies being present when being installed or removed, depending
on which side of the break of the circular dependcy loop they happen
to be on. (Closes: #362975).
* Bug fix: "8.6.4. Providing a `shlibs' file: s/should create/must
provide/", thanks to Christoph Berg. Clarified the wording.
* Bug fix: "debian-policy: Chapter 6 - Package maintainer scripts:
redundant info about exit status", thanks to Daniel Bonniot
* Bug fix: "debian-policy: Refers to upgrading-checklist.txt instead of
upgrading-checklist.txt.gz", thanks to Matt Kraai (Closes: #349775).
* Bug fix: "debian-policy: dpkg-gencontrol now uses -isp by default",
thanks to Guillem Jover (Closes: #359817).
* Bug fix: "[PROPOSAL] unclear recommendation for debconf w/
dpkg-statoverride", thanks to Eduard Bloch (Closes: #199849).
* debian-policy: please support Watch file as recommendation, thanks to
Bluefuture (Closes: #342611).
* Bug fix: "[PROPOSED] Mandate http servers to provide httpd-cgi as
relevenat", thanks to Uwe Hermann. This is already supported by the
http servers out there. (Closes: #117916).
a99c53850f2296afd22844be148c71c9 820 doc optional debian-policy_126.96.36.199.dsc
e43f135a8c5ad3f7090435137bf14bb1 771599 doc optional debian-policy_188.8.131.52.tar.gz
eede58ceff0218bca767236ca6f214b2 1510902 doc optional debian-policy_184.108.40.206_all.deb
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.3 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--- End Message ---